First aid for chemical exposures
– elective training course
0.5 hours (30 minutes)
GENERAL DEVELOPMENT GOALS
Participants will be able to act in accordance with the 4 key steps of first aid in situations involving chemical burns and poisoning (internal and external).
Participants will be able to give correct first aid to conscious and unconscious victims and prevent children and young people consuming poisonous substances.
Participants will be able to handle calls to the Danish Poisons Information Centre and follow their directions.
TRAINING COURSE CONTENT
- Prevention in relation to poisoning with particular emphasis on children and adolescents.
- First aid for conscious poisoning victims
- First aid for unconscious poisoning victims
- First aid for chemical burns, both external (skin) and internal (organs)
- Danish Poisons Information Centre and how to contact them
- Realistic scenarios and exercises
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE TRAINING COURSE
The course will have a minimal focus on theory, and will instead primarily entail realistic exercises, participant reflection and practical training Exercises and training must carried out in a relevant and suitable area with the inclusion of realistic props.
In order to receive the Danish First Aid Council’s first aid certificate or Specialist training program certificate, this program must be completed as an extension of the “First aid for accidents” or “First aid for cardiac arrest” basic training courses. Alternatively, participants must have completed a Danish First Aid Council basic training course within the last 24 months.
This course does not cover basic life support.